Thursday, February 7, 2013

Learning Log 3 or The Tortoise and the Hare


This drawing is part of the series for the second son of my college roommate.  The Tomten drawing below is also part of that series.  I was illustrating old poems and stories that I found interesting.  I've always found this to be an interesting story and a good reminder, given that I have much more of the Hare's personality than the Tortoise's.  I tend to do things in bursts of creativity and hard work and then procrastinate for weeks on end.  It's maddening for some of the people around me who are Tortoises.  Keeping aware of this tendency will be very important for me as I enter the teaching field.  I know that there are a lot of positives that come with my type of personality however school happens every day, not just the days that I feel like it.  When I think about my ideal educational model, I know that I haven't developed a really good idea of what that will look like.  I want to have a broad base of tools to  teach different kinds of learners.  Things like computer labs, ipads, and smart boards are all good tools that can teach children in a variety of different ways.  Those items coupled with a good variety of hands on objects to increase students understanding of the physical world would make up my ideal tools going into teaching.  The thing that worries me the most is the number of students that there will be in each class.  Our school has 25-28 kids per class, which is too many to give adequate attention to each student.  I mostly worry that I will have it in me to bring my best on days when I would rather take a nap and let the tortoises of the world pass me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment